FREE Shipping on all Canadian orders over 100$ and U.S. orders over 250$.
Japanese maverick director Yasuzo Masumura (Blind Beast) helms a bitingly satirical espionage thriller set in the heart of the Japanese auto industry in his 1962 landmark Black Test Car, which launched a series of similarly themed “Black” films.
In a bitter, take-no-prisoners corporate war between the Tiger Motorcar Company and their competitors, the Yamato Company, undercover spies have infiltrated both sides. As Tiger prepares to launch its newest “Pioneer” car and a prototype bursts into flames, Toru (Hideo Takamatsu, The Last Emperor) heads a secretive task force to root out Yamato’s spy, and find out what they can about the competitor’s familiar-looking new model.
Making its worldwide Blu-ray debut, Black Test Car is paired here with the English-language video premiere of its follow-up The Black Report, also directed by Masumura.
SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
– High Definition Blu-ray™ (1080p) presentation of Black Test Car and The Black Report
– Original uncompressed Japanese mono audio on both films
– Optional newly translated English subtitles on both films
– Newly recorded critical appreciation by Jonathan Rosenbaum
– Theatrical trailers for both films
– Image galleries for both films
– Reversible sleeve featuring newly commissioned artwork by Tony Stella
FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector’s booklet with new writing on the films by Mark Downing Roberts